Hardcastle pipe dating
The stem was lightly oxidized and there were tooth dents and chatter on the top and underside near the button. I used a brass bristle tire brush to scrub the top of the rim and try to clean out some of the darkening on the rim.
I was able to remove some of it and make it less pronounced.
This article has no indication of who authored it, so not sure who to address, but if this discussion page triggers an email to the author, I'd appreciate a come back.
I am interested in dating (decade would be good enough) a Hardcastle 'CAMDEN'#45 (stem is probably not original), which is listed in this article as a 'pre-cadogan' model.
To lighten the colour of the stain I washed it down with some alcohol on cotton pads until the colour was more to my liking. I painted the dents in the stem with the flame of a Bic lighter and was able to raise them almost smooth.
I sanded the stem with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out the slight dimples that remained in the surface.
He reamed the bowl and removed the lava build up on the rim and left a slightly darkened rim with no burns or damage to the edges.
I took the next set of photos to show what the pipe looked like when it arrived in Vancouver.
Blog by Steve Laug This perfectly shaped little Hardcastle’s sandblast pot was the next pipe to my worktable. It is stamped Hardcastle’s London Made and across that it is stamped Reject.
I wiped the bowl down with acetone on cotton pads to clean of any remnants of the old finish and to remove the debris from the brass brush work on the rim.
With the bowl cleaned I stained it with a dark brown aniline stain mixed 50/50 with isopropyl alcohol.
I took a close up photo of the rim to show the darkening on the back side of the top. There were no burn marks or damaged briar on the edges of the bowl.
The stamping is also shown and it remains sharp and distinct.